Friday 15 May 2009

Day 11 Bonar Bridge to Bettyhill

I'll never complain about a headwind again after the last 12 miles of todays ride. More about that later. The day started overcast with drizzle so once again it was on with the waterproofs. However by the first hill out of Bonar Bridge the rain had stopped and before I was 'boiled in the bag' they quickly came off. Even with the wet weather and easterly wind I was feeling good today. It could be due to the fact I had finally fallen off the wagon and had one or two (or was it three) single malts last night. After the poor start I had yesterday I promised myself a drink!The landscape once past Lairg has to be seen to be fully appreciated. Rugged comes to mind: with the mountains, moorland, lochs, and pinewoods. Large swathes of pine had been cut so some parts look like a disaster zone.
Just before I arrived at the days water stop a Pine Martin ran across the road in front of me and soon disappeared into the heather. The water stop was an indoor affair at the Crask Inn. Here fresh coffee and home made cakes where served. Plus a welcoming fire. GREAT! After the stop the planned route was to turn off the A836 and take the B873. However I decided I needed to do some extra miles (I'm trying to get 1000 miles on this trip. I'm currently at 930) so I continued on to Tongue, before turning due east to Bettyhill. The northerly stretch was fine but the side wind was challenging. While I dreaded each turn into the wind. I picked up a memento of the trip - an antler. It was near the side of the road just the other side of the drainage ditch. I suppose it was better than the rubbish lining the route travelled. The amount of rubbish seen the last two weeks, even in the remote areas was disappointing.
At Tongue I saw the Atlantic (I assume it's the Atlantic to the North of Scotland) before turning east towards Bettyhill. Now the fun began. With the very strong wind directly in my face I was faced with a challenge. Keeping the bike moving forward was hard going and my low gears were required. Staying on the bike was another difficulty. This was for 12 miles - even the downhills were tough since I was being buffeted by the wind constantly and stopped going forward if I didn't pedal! The hill out of Borgie would normally be a challenge but for me it initially provided relief from the wind. Although a slow climb it was faster than when in the wind. The problem was that once at the top the full force of the wind returned :-( All in all, it was an interesting and challenging days ride. One day to go. We are planning to visit Dunnet Head - the most northerly point in mainland UK tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment