Tuesday 12 May 2009

Day 8 Kilmarnock to Inverary

Todays ride was one of two halves. The first was a dash to the ferry for the crossing to Dunoon. The second was a lazy ride alongside/round a couple of lochs to the hotel.Although the weather was clear and sunny. There was a biting wind most of the day: Okay when it's a tail wind, but a pain when a head wind. Also the wind direction was affected by the lay of the land.To get warm I left the start at a fast pace, with the racers of the group. In approx 90 mins we had covered the 20 plus miles to thef irst water stop. I was dropped immediately we left this stop and in going first to the wrong ferry crossing, missed the one they caught by mere seconds. :(
Once in Dunoon it was a 5 mile ride to lunch, which I made the most of. I also took time to visit the gift shop of the botanical gardens w ehad stopped at. After allowing plenty of time to digest my lunch it was soon time to cover the last 32 miles to the hotel. The views are great so I stopped frequently. Maybe I was tired and the photo stops were an excuse. However towards the end of today I was starting to feel bored with cycling. Maybe 8 days of cycling was getting to me. At least only 4 to go. Tomorrow is supposed to be a long day, both in terms of mileage and hours of cycling. One thing I've found is the sun is constantly on my left and behind. This means that my left calf is medium rare, even with plenty of sunblock. Longs tomorrow me thinks.

Bye for now

No comments:

Post a Comment